My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Lola Montes (1955)

German film maker Max Ophüls's carnival biography of the famous social climber/ dancer become Royal mistress is inventive and epic as it dramatizes the life of Lola Montez in flash backs detailing her many loves.  Her story isn't really that interesting but its how Herr Ophüls structures this film that works.  What's even more impressive is that he shot the film in three languages.  Martine Carol is beautiful and does a brilliant job portraying a woman who could have come across as unsympathetic but she's able to demonstrate a strength that is empowering and tragic.  Certainly this isn't for everyone but if you like a good '50s historical drama this is a must see.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment