My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Kagemusha (1980)

It amazes me that Akira Kurosawa had to have Coppla and Lucas bail him out on this film in order to finish production.  When completed they had executive producer credits for an instant classic of Japanese cinema.  The story tells of a thief who is spared because he looks just like the King.   When the King is shot outside a castle, the King's loyal generals use the thief as an impersonator to keep the King's legacy for another year.  This is a tragic and beautiful story with many engaging characters.  It is a little long but well worth the time.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment