My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sherman's March (1986)

Documentary film maker Ross McElwee planned to make a film about General Sherman's March against the South during the Civil War and its affects in the region but very quickly he turns the camera on himself after his girl friend breaks up with him.   Instead he hooks up with various women on his journey and explores his own demons on his inability to stay in a relationship.   Deeply personally and at times hilarious it's impossible to not like Ross and his honest spirit.  This is a wonderful time capsule of an experience with kooky, broad personalities.  At almost three hours you'd think such a random seemingly theme-less work might drag but it's far from boring.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment