My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, June 25, 2012

A Bug's Life (1998) [Revisited]

Pixar's second film is still one of their best.  While watching it again I was amazed at the comic timing and the perfect plotting.  You can really tell that for the animators of Pixar story is king.  This one is basically the Seven Samurai with circus bugs, memorable heroes that in my mind have become legends of character animation.  Yet as I watched this again I had an eerie thought, one that I found amusing and a bit depressing.  Reflecting on the state of our economy and the trend amongst corporations to outsource our manufacturing jobs oversees, I came to realize we're the grasshoppers.  Americans are consuming irresponsible grasshoppers and all those Asian countries making our clothes, our IPads, flat-screens, cars and pretty much everything else we buy are the ants.   I know I'm over simplifying a complex shift but the metaphor is somewhat true.  We're the grasshoppers and someday (if that day hasn't already transpired) the ants of the world are going to realize that there are more of them than us.   Oh but alas, this is supposed to be a review of one of my favorite animated tales.   Why so seriously bend it around into something more?  Maybe as a warning.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment