My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Le souffle au coeur [Murmur of the Heart] (1971)

This is a splendid French comedy about a young teenager named Laurent Chevalier coming to terms with his own sexual awakening while at the same time wrestling with his own love for his mother.  Sometimes awkwardness just makes you laugh and this is filled with such moments.   The film by Louis Malle can be divided into two parts: the first dealing with his life at home with his two older brothers and the second with his stay at a resort to recover from a heart murmur with his mother who is having an affair with another man.  This really is an unforgettable experience.   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment