My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Brave (2012)

Not surprisingly Pixar does it again.  The artistry on display in this film is so impressive at times I wanted to pause the screen to take in the breathtaking detail and beauty of these images.  The main character Merida's red hair alone is so complex and dazzling it would be distracting if the story wasn't as entertainting as it is.  Princess Merida's journey isn't your typical fairy tale; she's a free-spirited archer who doesn't want to get married.  Yet in trying to change her fate, with the help of a witch, I mean wood carver, she'll learn a great lesson about pride and her responsiblties as a soon-to-be queen.  There's no stereotypical villain on display here.  No predictable love story to follow with a marriage scene at the end, sorry.  This is a story about the relationship between a daughter and a mother.  And it's as funny as it is emotionally rewarding.  This is certainly a new classic not to be missed.  In a summer of superheroes this is a welcome and much needed change of pace.  Grade: A.  

No comments:

Post a Comment