My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)

I'm finding it very enlightening watching the original films of remakes that I loved, films that I watched many long years ago never guessing they were remade until later.  It just shows you how subjective the concept of remaking something is.  One film buff's "untouchable" classic is an other's "dated" opportunity.  Warren Beatty remade this 40s classic into a masterpiece of his own by simply following the same road map Alexander Hall took telling the afterlife comedy of a boxer (not quarterback) being pulled from his body before he was supposed to die and then needing to find a replacement body when his body is cremated before the angel that removed him can put him back.   I loved watching this film and found it as moving as Beatty's film.  I'm reminded of my shock when I saw that Chris Rock was involved in a remake of his own of this story.  I wonder how many watched that not knowing it was a remake of a remake.  Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment