My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Albert Nobbs (2011)

I hate to be too harsh about this film but I didn't really like it. Maybe I had built up in my mind a different kind of film. The premise is great: a butler working at a Dublin hotel in the 1800s is in fact a woman in disguised, saving her money for the day she as a he can afford a tobacco shop. The first half of the film is wonderful with a mix of entertaining characters that are easy to care about. Then the story turns sour and I spent the rest of the film fighting with it, wanting it to be something the writer never intended it to be. Glenn Close and McTeer act their chops off as women dressed as men and deserve the Oscar nominations they received. It's a fine looking film with excellent production design and decent directing. I just wish the end result left me glowing instead of moody. Grade: C+

Spoilers: If it weren't such a well-made film technically I would have given it a C-. I felt the ending was just really depressing and unnecessary. I don't have problems with sad films. I just think a film needs to leave you satisfied. This one didn't.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment