My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The People vs George Lucas (2009)

What a bunch of whiners.  That's my view on all these supposed Star Wars fans in this movie.  Look, I consider myself a pretty big Star Wars Fan (or nerd to use a more accurate term).   I saw myself in some of these fanboys interviewed for this documentary that looks at George Lucas and his relationship with his audience (consumers).  Star Wars had a profound impact on me.  The Star Wars prequels weren't necessarily as good as the originals but so what; get over it.  I had some issues with some of his tinkering with the Special Editions; big deal.   Yet I don't hate any of it.  In fact I love the fact they're imperfect, flawed works of imagination.  It's easy to criticize something after the fact.  Hindsight is fifty-fifty, a truth that we all conveniently forget.   Ultimately this movie is a mix of ideas and complains and praises.  It's a blast to see how people have taken Star Wars and made it their own.   The various fan films alone are pretty crazy-cool.  I'm one of those believers that Star Wars belongs to George Lucas.  Certainly his vision has embedded itself into the pop culture of the world and people enjoy "playing in his sandbox" to use a metaphor from the film.  But Star Wars is his world and they're his creations and he can and will do whatever he wants with them.  If you don't like it, then don't buy it.  As for this film, if you like or hate Star Wars you might get as much of a kick watching this as I did. Grade: B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment