My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Love Affair (1939)

The original film about lovers who agree to meet at the top of the Empire State Building a year later if they still love each other as much as they do after a romantic cruise.  No need for the star power of Cary Grant, Warren Beatty or Tom Hawks to carry this film, the story alone is that good.   Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer deliver excellent performances too and Leo McCarey directs.  It makes you wonder why Mr. McCarey decided to remake his own film years later.  The only explanation is that he loved the story so much and without the existence of Home Video he assumed his first one was lost.   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment