My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Brave (2012)

Pixar does it again.  There are times while watching this beautifully executed film that I wanted to yell up at the projectionist and have them pause the action so I could admire all the incredible details.  Merida’s radiant, red curls alone are a stunning peerless effect well-worth a celebration.  All of this brilliance could have been a distraction but the story is equally impressive. This isn’t your typical Princess: Merida’s a feisty archer with a love for galloping through the forest and exploring the world.  With the help of a witch, I mean wood carver, she tries to change her fate. But in time she’s confronted with lessons on pride and taking responsibly for her actions.  Unlike most fairy tales there’s no evil villain trying to take over the kingdom.  No handsome prince for our hero to fall in love with.  Instead Brenda Chapman and Mark Andrews take their audience on a deeper more personal journey about the relationship between a daughter and her mother.  The result is an emotionally rewarding adventure that’s just as hilarious as it is magical.    Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment