My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, July 9, 2012

In Darkness (2011)

Like all Holocaust films, this is an emotionally bleak story that's an important reminder of humanity's most evil potential as well as a celebration of our spirit to survive.  Visually impressive and directed with artistic clarity by Agnieszka Holland, we follow a Polish sewer inspector, Leopold Socha, as he hides away a group of Jews in the filthy sewage system he knows so well for personal gain.  Yet after a moral wrestling, he begins to realize that keeping "his Jews" alive is less about him and more about doing what is right.  Some of the action, while true, has been seen before in other films, but most of the harrowing events that unfold are unique and keep this film from being a formula Schindler's List copy cat.   This is the first of the five films nominated for last years Best Foreign Language Oscar I've seen and it is very deserving of the acclaim.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment