My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Wings (1927)

Finally the first film to win Best Picture is available for DVD and it was well worth the wait.  This is truly an amazing movie.  It's the story of two young men who become pilots during the First World war and a hometown girl who will do anything for the young man she loves.  This is a magical silent film which seems to have been spun out of miracles (and I say this after seeing the behind the scenes featurette on what they had to do to make this cinematic achievement . . .eg the lead actors actually learned to fly and had to fly and operate their cameras too).   This might have been made in the '20s but I've yet to see a film with better aerial stunt work and camerawork.  The battle scenes are epic and ahead of their time.  If I were alive back then I'm certain would have gone to the theater a few dozen times to experiences this WWI flying picture.  What's especially powerful is that when all the dog fights are done this is a film about brothers in arms, men who love each other and die for each other.  A beautiful film.  Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment