My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Some films just need to be seen.  There's nothing I can describe to prepare the viewer for this magical, beautiful and painful story of a daughter and her father living in the poorest area of Louisiana (a fictional place called the Bath Tub).   It might be too early to say this but if this film doesn't get nominated for Best Picture (especially if there are ten nominations) I will be extremely irritated.  There's a unique blending of documentary, fantasy and spiritualism at work here that's breathless to behold.  This adaptation of a stage play is ugly and sometimes it's hard to watch but in the end I was flabbergasted, tears in my eyes and hope stuck in my throat.   Again, some films just need to be seen and I hope that many see this film.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment