My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Taste of Cherry (1997)

In all honesty, I’m probably not knowledgeable enough about Iran and the various cultures that dominate that region to really give a proper review of this film.  Abbas Kiarostami’s story of a man trying to find someone to help him bury his body after committing suicide is so simple, with action so drawn out and meandering it’s almost boring.  It’s basically a man driving around in his Ranger Rover listening to strangers attempt to convince him to live. For me this film is like poetry.  I have to be in the right mindset to read poetry.  I enjoy it when I do but if I try to read an hour of great poetry when I’m geared for a short story or novel, I fall asleep or find my mind wandering.  Thankfully I was in the mood for such a film and I did enjoy it (I didn’t fall asleep) but I wasn’t as satisfied by this film as much as I had hoped.  Certainly it’s an artful exercise dealing with issues of life and death that we all face.  But at its core it’s an unconventional way to tell a story that could have easily been more inspiring to more people if Kiarostami had wanted it to be.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment