My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Porky's (1982)

Suckered into watching this movie by a friend of mine "What?  You haven't seen Porky's?  It's a classic!" I find myself in a sour mood.  I'm sure back in 1982 this film was hilarious and the bathroom scene alone must have shocked lustful teens into hysterics.  But none of this humor really holds up anymore.   The fact that Bob Clark (writer and director) set his film in the '50s is pretty great and that's the one aspects that I enjoyed-- the wiping away of the '50s as a pure moral, Leave-It-To-Beaver world.  The biggest problem with this film is that all the characters laugh for me.  When Honeywell demonstrates why she's known as Lassie in the men's locker room, I might have laughed but actor Doug McGrath's horrid uncontrollable laughter steals away any need for me to enjoy what's happening.  It's like a visual laugh track and it's very annoying.  And this choice to have the cast laughing at what's happening is a repeating force that become very annoying by the end of the film.  Sure there's so really amusing character work and Pee Wee's desperate desire to lose his virginity is chuckle inducing but the overall result is a sex comedy from the '80s stuck in a time capsule.  If Howard Stern wants to make a remake of this, I say go for it.  Just don't laugh for me, please.  Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment