My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Beautiful People (1999)

When this multiple-storylined film started I cringed.  Not another one of these.  The last time I watched a film about various Londoners and their crisscrossing lives it was the amusing but greatly overrated Love Actually.  Soon it became clear that this is a superior and special comedy.   The irony is more biting and the characters more real.  There's greater depth in what director Jasmin Dizdar is trying to say and the themes cut like razer blades.  Dealing with the Bosnian War, upper classes versus lower classes, refugees' fresh starts, guilt living in peace and the true meaning of family: all emerge with wit and honest.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment