My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, July 20, 2012

We Need To Talk About Kevin (2011)

After watching this film I turned the news on and learned of the shooting at the Aurora Colorado movie theater.  Talk about irony.  This film from the point of view of a mother whose first born son becomes the killer of a high school massacre is about as evil as a horror film.  Kevin is like a real life version of Damian from The Omen.  I wouldn't have been surprised if Tilda Swinton found 666 branded on his skull.   Lynn Ramsay, the director, brilliantly crafts a story that asks important questions about evil.  Are we born evil or are we raised that way?  Maybe both.  I can't help but think of the suspect in the Colorado shooting, and other shootings like in Columbine High school (the irony just keeps on coming) and I'm certain the parents of these monsters ask these same questions.  For our society, films like these are important and are needed to help jump start a dialogue.  Parents of troubled children need an outlet, without judgment, so we can prevent more tragedies.  It's naive to think we can weed out every bad seed or reprogram such entities but we should never stop trying to understand such senseless acts of terror.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment