My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Warrior (2011)

What makes this dramatic and exciting Mixed Martial Arts movie work is that you have two heroes, each figher on a journey, so it's hard to know who to root for.  But someone has to win, there can't be two winners and that's what is so great about this film.  You will need to accept the silly set-up that two brothers could even enter the same contest without anyone figuring out they're related until later but besides this jump of reason it's a quality film.  Both Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton are fantastic and even Nick Nolte gives a powerful (if typecasted) performance.  And you don't have to know anything about MMA or even like the violent sport to enjoy this film.  It's just solid storytelling. Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment