My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tiny Furniture (2010)

Here's what you have: a young film maker who with a small budget and a digital camera, her mother and sister as actors and a script full of self-indulgent whining characters.  If that sounds good to you then feel free to check this indie out.  I, on the other hand, wish I had watched something else.  This film isn't all bad, there are a few worthwhile moments and its refreshing to see a movie with normal looking people, that said this film didn't really do anything for me.  Is this because I'm a man and the men in this film are all jerks.   Is it because I don't get the subtle emotional complexities of a young woman just out of college and going home to stay with her wealthy artist mother?  Maybe.  I just think this film has a weak story and a hero that doesn't really have much of a problem but a bad outlook on life.  Grade: C+.

No comments:

Post a Comment