My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Devil's Double (2011)

A film that tells the true story of Latif Yahia, an Iraqi forced to become Uday Hussein's body double.  My first impression is that Dominic Cooper, who plays both roles, is fantastic.  My second impression is that Uday Hussesein was a crazy bastard.  My third impression is that for how entertaining this film is it could have been a little bit better.   It looks great and starts off just fine but it loses its narrative steam toward the end.  That said, I would recommend it for those interested in the subject. Grade: B+

Spoilers:  Films like these, based on true stories must be taken for a grain of salt especially since Latif's story isn't completely verified.  Not to say I think Uday Hussein was a decent guy.   I'm sure he was as evil as the film portrayed him, if anything the film makers probably toned it down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment