My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Red Shoes (1948)

This classic approach to Hansen Christian Anderson's fairy tale is a landmark of British cinema and one of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburge's best films.  But the artist who's work is showcased the most is legendary cinematographer Jack Cardiff, whose colors and framing bolding take this story to the next level.  Glorious to behold with magical moments of trickery we follow a love triangle between a ballerina, her composer lover and the company's director.  Together they create a celebrated ballet of The Red Shoes.  But soon the ballerina, played by the beautiful Vicky Page, must choose between her lover or her career.  The film still holds up today.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment