My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Tree of Life (2011)

Terrence Malick makes beautiful boring works of art that push the boundaries of cinema.  He doesn't tell stories he makes cinematic poems.  His newest work is slightly different in that it's not dull, and if you're willing to stick through the first fifteen minutes and go with it you'll be rewarded with an ambitious and spiritual look at the universe and one man's soul.  In essence the story is about a man named Jack (Sean Penn) who thinks back when he was growing up with his two brothers, his beautiful mother (Jessica Chastain) and stern father (Brad Pitt).  It's a film about looking back and trying to find meaning in our life.  Is it a masterpiece?  I don't think so, even if it did go on to win at Cannes.  There are some brilliant moments but the story never transcends into anything more than stunning pictures mixed in with glimpses of character.  When I finished it  I couldn't help but feel it needed more focus, especially toward the end which is a tangled knot of confusing spirituality.  Not to say it's a failure, it succeeds on many levels if nothing else but as a special experience open to interpretation.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment