My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Submarine (2011)

For the first film of 2012, I watched this quirky British film from director/ writer Richard Ayoade.  It's a coming-of-age story about a teenager living in Wales who falls in love while at the same time must deal with the fact that his parents are falling out of love.  That's not the best way to describe the plot, nor is this film's plot especially unique.  What's unique is the visual dynamic of the film that's reminiscent of Harold & Maude and Rushmore.  Another way to describe this film might be a film about unlikeable characters that become likable the more entertaining the action unfolds; this isn't a fair description either because that assumes complex characters with flaws are unlikeable.  I certainly enjoyed this film's sense of humor and its sense of style.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment