My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Beginners (2011)

I'm such a fan of Ewan McGregor and his choice of films to work on.  This semi-autobiographical film directed and written by Mike Mills is a moving and funny slice of life that touches on everything from death, parenthood, dog ownership, falling in love, gay rights, loneliness and the beauty of Los Angeles.   Ewan plays Oliver whose father, Hal (Christopher Plummer), comes out of the closet at 74; and then he must deal with Hal's death of cancer years later while starting a relationship with a French Actress (Mélanie Laurent).  This is one of those movies that is such a pleasurable experience, that's so moving and emotionally rewarding you can't believe more people aren't talking about it.  Well I am, it's a great little movie and I hope it finds a epic-size audience after its release.   We need more movies like these.   Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment