My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Another Earth (2011)

Movies like these fill me with joy.   First you take a surreal science fiction concept that's huge and then you craft a small compact drama between two people around it.  What we get is a satisfying film that impresses on so many levels.  It makes you think.  It engages your heart.  It builds tension.   Written by Mike Cahill (who directed) and Brit Marling (who plays the lead character of Rhoda) this independent film won the Alfred  P. Sloan Award at Sundance.  On the night Rhoda makes a simple but horrible mistake another planet just like ours is discovered and her life is forever altered.  Grade: A-

Spoilers:  I could write about the end but I won't.  Instead I would just like to write about my favorite scene.  It's so simple yet perfect and that's when Rhoda and John play Wii.  That one scene helps develop the characters into people we can relate to and want to root for.  Kudos.

No comments:

Post a Comment