My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Lovely & Amazing (2001)

This is the third Nicole Holofcener film I've seen and I must say she's a wonderful crafter of women characters and of the effortless, funny plot.   Catherine Keener stars as a bitter artist living in LA whose sister, played by Emily Mortimer, is trying to make it as an actress and their mother, played by Brenda Blethyn, is having plastic surgery done on her belly.  Add an adopted young African-American girl into the mix and you have a lot of entertaining twists and turns.  I wouldn't say this is as good as Walking & Talking but it's certainly an enjoyable film to watch, worth the time.  Grade: B+   

No comments:

Post a Comment