My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Battleground (1949)

Sometimes it's hard to watch World War II films for me, because they almost celebrate and glamorize war instead of selling the concept that war is bad.  This one is an enjoyable one mostly because it's about soldiers being men instead of heroes and yet they're heroes for doing what it is they did.  But they are men, they whine, they concern themselves with comforts, they can be cold-hearted and they can make mistakes.  At the same time they fight to win and prove braver than most.   The story is like most films of this genre.  The audience follows a band of soldiers.  You get to know them.  They go through a series of battles and accomplish or don't accomplish their goal.  What's most welcome though is the matter-of-fact nature of death that occurs and a comic tone that seems organic throughout.  Nominated for an Oscar for best picture, this is one of the good ones.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment