My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

X-Files (Season 2)

My journey to re-watch all of the X-Files is done.  I started about two years ago from Season 3 and finished at the beginning of this month with the end of Season 2.  Why start at the third season?  At the time I was checking the DVDs out at the library and they didn't have the first two season available.   I must someday devote a blog reviewing the entire series but for this entry I will focus on second season.  

If the first season was a great set up the next season launches the show into the TV canon as one of the greats.  Mulder and Scully's chemistry really sparks in this season and you can see that the writers understand their relationship and their deeper complexities.  There really is only one weak episode and that's Fearful Symmetry, a story about alien abductions of zoo animals.  Reason: fake gorilla.  Yet all the episodes are great.  The three best (and there's more than three) are Blood (brain washing machines), Our Town (a town with a grisly secret) and Ascension (the episode that forever impacted the character of Scully).   The show's mythology really hit its stride, starting with Duane Barry and giving us a really strong season finale.  In hindsight you can tell that the writers don't really know where they're going but it's still fun.  Does it hold up?  Absolutely.   This is the show that's DNA spawned such shows as Lost and Fringe.  I still miss The X-files and now that I have finished re-watching it I wonder how long it will take before I decide to start the journey again.   Chris Carter, if you're out there, please make another movie, I know the last one didn't make any money but I need my Scully and Mulder fix.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment