My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

On The Beach (1959)

Based on Nevil Shute's novel, Stanley Kramer directs a film about the end of the world.  Gregory Peck is Submarine Captain Dwight Towers, who discovers that Australia is the only country that's survived a devastating Nuclear world war.  An all-star cast, Kramer's speciality, including Fred Astair (in his first none musical role), Ava Gardner and a young Anthony Perkins scramble to deal with being left behind, even as it becomes clear that a radiation cloud is on its way.   It's a little long but I was delighted that such a film was even made back in the '50s.  I guess with the Cold War kicking into gear, such nightmare scenarios were all the rage.  Very romantic and broad, it's a great Hollywood treatment of an otherwise bleak topic.   Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment