My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Angel (Season 3)

The third season of Buffy's spin-off sees Angel as more a man than a vampire and the other members of his detective agency less one-dimensional.   I felt there was some misopportunities for some better stories but overall loved what the writres came up with . 

Spoilers will start here: I miss Elizabeth Rohm's character Kate Lockley and am hoping she pops up in season 4.  Probably not, but she was a strong character that gave Angel another obstacle.   I loved what they did with Darla and think it was genius for Angel to become a father.  What I would have loved to have seen is Angel turn in to Angelus when he saw his son for the first time.   Why is it that only having sex makes him turn into the evil guy?   That would have left one episode or two where Weslie, Cordelia and Charles have to battle Angelus.  I saw what was going to happen with his son episodes earlier and would have loved to have had a few more episodes of Vampire and the baby.   The big topic of discussion is the love story between Angel and Cordelia.  It almost works.  Unlike Season 6 of Buffy where the love story between Buffy and Spike actually boils over, this one never really takes off.  I'd have loved an episode where Buffy showed up and realized Cordelia had fallen for her ex.  Lorn really needs to see Buffy's aura too; I think he'd have some clear insight on Angel and Buffy's connection.   My biggest problem with this season of Angel himself.   A constant performance but his inner struggle as a man paying for his sins is completely void.   Grade: B+.   

No comments:

Post a Comment