My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Calle 54 (2000)

A great introduction to the Lain jazz scene.  At first I didn't know I'd like the music but soon I was in love with it.  I'm looking into buying a Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band album now.  The film is jammed full of great performances from the originators of the style.  Not much of a story or actual information, Fernando Trueba just lets the music carry the viewer away.  It's not much of a documentary as it is a concert film.  But remember, if you check out the DVD, to watch the B side that acts much more like a true documentary.   As a whole it's a fantastic exploration.  Grade: A-. 

No comments:

Post a Comment