My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Red Road (2006)

This drama, sold as a thriller, won the Jury Prize at Cannes for its director Andrea Arnold.   There's nothing wrong with this film, it's well-executed on all fronts.  Kate Dickie and Tony Curran are excellent, giving raw performances that would make most Oscar winners red with envy.  I wouldn't say the story is as fascinating as it could have been.  In someways I felt like the concept of a security camera operator in London spying on people more interesting and worthy of a better plot.  It could have been a modern day Rear Window but instead it's really just a drama about forgiveness.  That's okay, Arnold obviously was more interested in keeping the film real instead of wandering into the realm of fantasy.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment