My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, March 18, 2011

The Duchess (2008)

I enjoy period dramas a lot because they're as bizarre as anything one could find in a science fiction or fantasy film.   The morals, the costumes and the social concerns make for great entertainment.  The real Georgiana Cavendish probably deserves a better treatment of her life, one that's less tragic and more closely aligned with her eccentricities but the director, Samuel Dibb ,does a descent job.  Keira Knightley is very good and likable in the main role.  She wasn't born to play the role but she makes it work.  The real shining star of the movie is Ralph Fiennes as her husband, William Cavendish.  To play such a horrible person and yet make you vulnerable is a real feat.  What a great performance!  Grade: A- .

No comments:

Post a Comment