My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Before the Rain (1994)

A premonition and meditation on how hatred and violence circles around and affects everyone, this film by Mančevski's is a real work of art.  Told in three parts, the story takes place in Macedonia.   The first story deals with a young monk who hasn't spoken in two years, the second story deals with a newspaper editor in love with a famous photographer and the third act focuses on said photographer returning home.  How they all relate is surreal, not in an over the top dream-like way but as a subtle thematic symbol.  The clue is the expression, "The circle is not round."  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment