My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Top Ten Disney Animated Films

As mentioned in my previous blog, Empire Online created a guide to Disney's 50 animated films.  They are excluding titles such as The Wild and and the Brave Little Toaster because they only produced them.  Below are the top 10 I believe are the best. 

10. Lilo & Snitch         
     One of the more inventive films in Disney's Canon, there is a lot to cherish about this film.  It's funny.  The main characters are Hawaiian.  It has aliens in it.  Mostly though it has heart too and that's why I have included it.
9.  The Lady and the Tramp
     The Iconic scene when they eat spaghatti and meatballs alone is why this deserves to be on the list.  Sure, the Siamese Cats are awful Asian stereotypes but the rest of this magical film negates this flaw.
8.  The Lion King
    Hamlet with African animals, how can you not love it.  Elton John music and Hans Zimmer's score is impressive as are Tim Rice's lyrics.   
7.  Hercules
    Underrated and easily one of the most funny of Disney's films, it turns the Greek hero into a satire of sports celebrity.  Brilliant.
6.   Rescuers Down Under
    The opening scenes are eye-popping and its a welcome to see the Rescuers back.  How I wish they would have made a third film to make it a trilogy.  At least they made this one that is in many ways superior to the first.
5.   Sleeping Beauty
    What I love about this simple but addictive film is both the Medeval style of its design and the use of Tchaikovsky's score.  Then there's the classic feel of the movie that is so timeless.
4.   Beauty and the Beast
    This film actually made me tear up.  The musical numbers are perfect.  The Beast alone might be the greatest character design in Animation history.  What a fantastic love story.
3.   The Sword in the Stone
    This adaption of T.B White's book is a wonder to behold.  I love how the entire film is a prequel to the Arthurian legend.  It's funny because I never knew anything about King Arthur when I saw this as a kid.  The fact that you don't need to know the story is only proof at how good this film really is.
2.   The Little Mermaid
    The film to jump-start Disney into its second Reniassance.   Perfect musical numbers, great voice talent and the Universal story of the hopeless romantic wanting to explore the unknown.   Beautiful.
1.   Pinocchico
    A masterpiece.  How they animated some of this surreal and wonderful fantasy film is incredible.   There is nothing bad about this film.  It's just a great film. 

Three Honorable Mentions
Tangled - Too new to really know, I could see someday moving this up into the top ten.
Treasure Planet - This one is a guilty pleasure of mine.  Why is this so underrated?
Alice in Wonderland - This weird little adaptation is a masterpiece and it is killing me not to include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment