My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Monsters (2010)

Science fiction is a live and well.  Sure at times this film reminded me of District 9 but that's not a bad thing, is it?  In honesty I'm beaming that big movies like this can be done with a small budget (reportedly done under a million dollars if you can believe it).  At times the film crawls along at a slow pace but the tension is real and builds to a satisfying ending.  This film isn't so much about monsters or borders or even governments, it's about two people connecting, and trying to find their way home (which isn't a destination.)   With a few more millions in director Gareth Edwards pockets he might have been able to show more of the aliens and maybe have had a real amazing battle but that wouldn't necessary make for a better movie.   As Jaws proves sometimes leaving it up to audience's imagination is the way to go.  I'll be keeping a look out for Mr. Edwards next film.  Grade: A-.

Spoilers:  About the ending, while it leaves a lot up in the air, more questions than answers, I loved it.  It was hauntingly beautiful to watch to two aliens connect followed by two humans connecting too.  IT was a page right out of Spielberg's handbook:  you want wonder, show people looking at something in wonder and the audience will believe.    

No comments:

Post a Comment