My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Star Is Born (1937)

The original film that has gone on to inspire two remakes and possibly more.   It's story of a girl, Vikki Lester, with dreams of stardom coming to Hollywood to fall in love and have her dreams come true but with a cost.  The most interesting parts of the film deal with how Hollywood works, or at least how Hollywood portrays itself working, how the old studio system manufactures every aspect of a star's "look" and how it's not about the script but about pleasing the public.   The rest of the movie is a melodramatic love story that focuses on her husband's issues with his failing career and his struggles with alcoholism.   This is where the film structural is different.  The first part of the film is about Vikki Lester but the second part of the film is about Norman Maine, making it his story.   While it doesn't hold up that much anymore, it has its charming moments and a strong ending.  Grade: B.

Note on a possible remake:  I've read that Clint Eastwood was considering making this again with Beyonce as the star.  I hated the idea until I considered how much has changed.   With agents, and red carpet walks, and press junkets and the Internet, seeing how a star is born today,  if done with honesty, would be really intriguing.  I only hope they change it up some and develop more dynamic characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment