My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Band Wagon (1953)

Even in his '50s Fred Astaire made it look so easy.  Effortlessly he plays Tony Hunter, washed up has-been who is talked into a new show by some friends, a husband and wife writing duo.  They bring on actor and director Jeff Cordova to produce who hires on Astaire's leading dance partner Gabriella Gerard played wonderfully by Cyd Charisse.  This backstage film is directed by Vincente Minnelli who captures a sense of magic in a plot that's pretty simple.  Some times the acting is a little showy and unnatural but this didn't bother me because it fit with the characterization of the show.  Really what makes this such fine musical is the music and the dancing.   I especially loved the dance numbers between Astaire and Charisse (I watched them twice).  The Triplets number was another favorite of mine because it's so damn funny to watch.   What surprised me was how effective the ending was; it really wowed me.  Basically if you like musicals you'll love this one.  Just jump on the Band Wagon and go with it, it's a real joy.  Grade: A.

Spoiler:  A little bit more on the ending.  What was so great about it was that it completes a circle from the very beginning of the movie where Fred Astaire leaves the train depot singing about how great it is that he's on his own and by himself (which is sung just off enough for the audience to know he's lying).  Then at the end of the film he's in his dressing room singing the same song, certain that he is forever going to be alone when he is greeted by the entire company outside his dressing room.  Then Gaby tells him in a wonderful symbolic way that she loves him and wants to be with him.   The shot cuts to Astaire's tearful happy reaction that melted my heart.   What a great moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment