My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cyrus (2010)

John C. Reilly plays a divorced, down-on-his-luck guy who falls for a woman he meets at a party, played by Marisa Tomei, only to learn she has a 21 year old son living at home, played with subtlety by Jonah Hill.  A love triangle of tense awkwardness ensues.  Such a simply concept could have been ruined with typical Hollywood hi jinks.  Thankfully the film makers keep the characters the focus and allow them to control the story.  The love story feels real and the hatred between boyfriend and son is just as genuine.   This refreshing film had me laughing and sitting at the edge of my seat the entire film.    Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment