My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Smiley Face (2007)

Anna Faris is hilarious.  I don't know what it is about her but she is just funny.   Even in this average film she finds a way of getting chuckles out of me.   If not for her talent and the dry brilliance of John Krasinski as her nerdy love interest I doubt this film would have turned out even half as good as it is.   The premise is simple: girl eats her roommate's marjuana-laced cupcakes and falls completely apart rambling from one disaster to the next.  I confess to never smoking pot in my life, not that I care that people do, but perhaps this is one of the reasons the plot felt weak to me.  Still there are some silly gags worth checking out as long as one understands that this film is never to be taken serious as anything but a one-note joke.   Too bad some more better story elements could have been added to strengthen the plot.  Grade: B-   

No comments:

Post a Comment