My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Runaways (2010)

An entertaining rock bio on the band the Runaways that follows the typical formula but without feeling trite.  With dead-on performances from Dakota Fanning, as Cherry Curry, and Kristen Stewart, as Joanne Jett, the film focus on these two artists relationship and on how fame breaks one down and the other seems destined by the rock gods.  The narrative's pacing does loose some steam in the last twenty minutes but thankfully the last scene saves the picture from falling off the rails.   I also felt the film makers slipped a bit on walking that thin line of accurately showing their drug use while trying to not glamorizing it.  They did show that drugs destroy people but I felt they could have hammered it home a little more.  The after effects of drug addiction is never fun even if it is part of the Rock'n'roll scene.  Overall a story worthy of a movie.  If anything watching it for the soundtrack is a bitchin' time.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment