My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Revanche (2008)

An Austrian film directed by Götz Spielmann that follows the story of an ex-con wanting to runaway with his prostitute girlfriend to Spain only for the destiny of a police officer to intervene.  What results is pure cinematic poetry as the audience is confronted with the very roots of revenge and redemption.   These are great characters written and performed with subtly and depth of which most films lack.  I appreciated the elegant pacing Spielmann gave the film and loved how many surprises cropped up in a story so natural.  Recommend for people who enjoy quiet films with complex character driven plots.  Avoid if you're expecting a fast pace shoot'em up with lots of violence.  Grade: A-. 

No comments:

Post a Comment