My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dead Calm (1989)

An excellent three-character thriller that takes place on the lonely ocean.  Beautifully shot, Philip Noyce shows how effective he is as a director.  Imagine how challenging of a shoot it must have been, out on the unpredictable, high seas.  Someday we can hope he attempts another small film like this than tackle another massive action film like Salt.  Nicole Kidman has never looked better although it's fascinating to see how far she has come along in her acting skills.  Even Billy Zane, who can sometimes lay it on thick, keeps his performance believable and scary without sneering like the typical villain.  It's not perfect, of course.  Even as tightly crafted thrillers go, there are a few plot holes but nothing outlandish to ruin the film.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment