My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Exam (2010)

This entertaining film directed by Stuart Hazeldine is a quality executed example of single-setting drama, a sort of science-fiction thriller in the spirit of 12 Angry Men.   8 candidates, looking to get hired for a mysterious position, enter a room to take an exam.   They're given instructions and 80 minutes to figure out the answer to a question.  Yet what is the question?   They don't know because when they flip their papers over they discover their papers blank.   I enjoyed watching smart people try to unravel a mystery in a logical manner.  The acting from a bunch of unknowns is excellent and I was impressed at how the film makers, with lighting and camera angles, made such a simple set work without feeling like a play.  If you enjoy clever thrillers this is one to try out.  Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment