My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers (2009)

One might not think a documentary film about a government analyst releasing top secret information about the Vietnam war very relevant today but one only needs to remember Wiki leaks and Julian Assange to realize how much it is.   The questions this film asks are important:  Should one remain loyal to their country even as said government acts in an immoral way or lies to its people?   Does the press have the write to print documents classified as top secret?  Was Ellsberg a traitor or a hero?  I personally believe it was wrong of Ellsberg to steal secrets and pass them along but in this case it was even more wrong for him to remain quiet.  It took a lot of bravery for Ellsberg to share what he knew and for that he is a true citizen of freedom.   This documentary is a fascinating look back.   I can imagine when the Pentagon papers came out it was incredible.   Today all of the facts on Vietnam are common knowledge and its easy to take it for granted.  But imagine this: people actually trusted their government back then.  Nixon was considered a good president.   A lot has changed and yet when I reflect back to the Iraq war it's sad to see how much has stayed the same too.  Grade A-.   

No comments:

Post a Comment