My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Restrepo (2010)

I applaud Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington for giving us such an honest and unbiased report on the front lines of the Afghanistan war.  This documentary is a must-see for all Americans, regardless of your stance on this war,  because it demonstrates on a real level the complex sinisterness of warfare and especially our involvement in this one.  I must admit that I came away with a deep dislike of military masochism so prominent in these soldiers.  Perhaps I am unpatriotic for suggesting these warriors could have represented this country better, that while they perform a duty I cannot understand nor could take up, their boorishness is depressing to behold.  But that's one of the parts of this film I cherish, its willingness-- both from the filmmakers and especially their subjects-- to show us their warts and all.  Perhaps we need to remember that these men are real people with fragile minds not heroes to honor just because.  For me that's why they're really heroes, not for battling the evil Taliban, but attempting to solve the unsolvable, by trying to win the unwinnable, for not standing by as a country falls to tyranny.  They sacrifice it all without question, as a solider must.   But god I wish we'd let them walk away.  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment