My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Edge of Love (2008)

For the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong with this film.  It's like a stew with all the best ingredients cooked perfectly that ends up tasting really really bland.   Solid performances, beautiful cinematography, and an interesting subject: this film should have been incredible.  But it's not.  I found it painfully slow.  It felt like it never was going to end.  There were a few good scenes but mostly the plot meanders about without direction.   It's never really clear what any of the characters want.  I still don't know who loved who.  Who was I supposed to root for?  I thought Dylan Thomas was a prick.  His wife was interesting but weak.  Vera, Dylan's first love, was a big mystery.  Cillian Murphy's character was only in the film for about fifteen minutes.  I'd only recommend this film for people who love romantic WWII films with lots of melodrama.   Everyone else should avoid this misfire of a film.  Grade: C.

No comments:

Post a Comment