My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Buried (2010)

I like what Ryan Reynolds said on the making of this film, something along the lines that this is the type of film Hitchcock would have made if he had had this script.  It's true, except they didn't have cellphones back then.  What an entertaining thriller with a near-perfect performance from Ryan Reynolds.   Just when you think the film makers had done all that they could with such a small space, they give us even more tense moments.  It almost makes you wonder why no one had done this before, besides a scene in Kill Bill: Vol. 2, or half an episode of Alias.  Rodrigo Cortés should be applauded for his vision and ability to surprise us.   The script is also very good.  My only complaint is that I wanted more phone conversations.  It's smart that he must conserve the cell's battery life but if I would have been in that situation I would have called a lot more people and I would have liked him to, especially to say his goodbye.  Grade: A-.

Spoiler on ending:  the ending was exactly what needed to happen.   Sure it's a bummer ending but it's the most effective.  I would have liked it if it were less rushed, especially when he gets a hold of his wife, but that's just me.  I also would have liked it if he had tried a little more to dig himself out of there.    Even if it meant being bite by a snake.        

No comments:

Post a Comment