My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Marnie (1964)

Hitchcock is the greatest film director of all time.  Okay I said it.  I'll probably change my mind after seeing another Kurosawa film but for now it's Alfred Hitchcock.  But how can I say such a thing after watching a film many consider one of his failures?  Simple, because even an average Hitchcock film is more complex and devious than most other films.  Here we have Marnie Edger, psyhological liar and thief, switching identies like costumes, played by Tippi Hedren with great intensity.  Then she's found out by the handsome Mark Rutland, a man obsessed with pyschology and animal behavior, played by the young Sean Connery.  What happens next is down right comical but in Hitchock's hands it's mysterious and refreshing, it's pure storytelling as only the best are capable of pulling off.  The film explores so many themes it's impressive it's all in one film.   Some might cry that this film looks fake, with obvious projectons and matte paintings, I on the other hand consider it abstract art, a view of life that's not realistic but that delivers an enterataining truth.  This is what made Hitchcock so impressive, he crafted thrilling stories without attempting to trick his audience into believing what they were seeing was genuine.   It's about the story and that's all.   Grade: B+. 

No comments:

Post a Comment